Friday, October 15, 2010

Glee 2x04 "Duets".

Glee's episode "Duets" is one of the reasons why I love this series.

At the beginning, it reminded me a bit too much of "Ballads", which is one of my least favourite episodes, but when they finally introduced Sam into the Glee club, it got the ball rolling into a more favourable direction. Playing on the rumours (Or maybe it was what set off the rumours?), Kurt decided that he was the one who was going to sing with Sam, in order to win the prize Mr. Schue has for them: An all-expenses paid dinner to Breadsticks for the winner. Is Breadsticks the only restaurant in town?

But before I talk about the rest of the episode, I would like to mention the hot topic of Brittany and Santana. And by "hot" I mean HOT. For a show that changed the lyrics to Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" because it used the work 'bitch' in it, this scene was very surprising. However, the fact that Glee pushes the button on things like these is what makes the show so interesting.

Now, back to the duets part of the episode. After singing a good cover of "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John and Gigi? (A song I've sung on SingStar so many times I've started to dislike it), Rachel decides to do something initially out of character: She wants to throw the competition in order for Sam to win ... So that in the long-term, Rachel can win at Nationals. I have a problem with the continuity with this. New Directions did not even place at Regionals, so why are they going to Nationals? If someone could explain this to me, that would be great.

Sam, who had originally been paired with Kurt (leading to a great moment between Finn and Kurt and then Kurt and Burt, who, YAY! is out of hospital and making cement moulds on the couch at home) and then later with Quinn. The pairing of Sam and Quinn is one of my favourite pairings of the show so far. There was a lot of Sam this episode, and no Puck. Which is nice. Puck was, coincidentally, in juvie, because he drove his mum's volvo into a convenience store entrance and nicked off with the ATM. Hopefully this means when Puck comes back he's back to being a bad arse.

A major Artie storyline occurred in this episode as well. He paired up with Brittany for the competition, and also lost his virginity to her. Due to the promos, it was obvious something of that nature was going to happen, but the aftershock of it all broke my heart. Santana, in true bitchy nature, told Artie that Brittany only slept with him because he can give her "Super Park access". Low blow, Santana. Artie breaks up with Brittany and opts out of the competition. I would have liked to have seen Brittany nudge a meatball over to Artie with her nose, however.

As for the competition songs? Kurt's duet-turned-solo version of "Le Jazz Hot" was spectacular, and once again showcases the reasons why Chris Colfer is an amazing actor, singer and dancer. Rachel and Finn in their competition-throwing number, chose a song whose name I don't know, and don't really care for, was so spectacularly rude that Quinn "seriously wanted to punch both of you". Mike Chang and Tina sang "Sing!" from A Chorus Line, which was amazing, because it reminds me of the numbers from Singing In The Rain. Who knew Harry Shum Jr. was so talented? Mercedes and Santana paired up together and sang "River Deep, Mountain High", which was good, but was not my favourite.

My favourite?

Sam and Quinn's "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie lastnameIdon'tremeberhowtospell.

Hits:

  • Mercedes' vote of "Mercedes and Satan."
  • "Cheerios' Brittany? Yeah, we had sex" - random guy in canteen.
  • Sam's deep dark secret: He put lemon juice in his hair to make it that blonde.
  • The scene betwee Kurt and Burt. I just like any scene between these two.
  • Sam and Quinn are now dating; I can't wait to see how Puck reacts.
  • Lea Michele and Chris Colfer's rendition of "Happy Days Are Here Again/Get Happy". Wow. I've already bought it on iTunes.
  • Mike Chang! Mike Chang! Mike Chang!
Misses:

  • I just realised there was no Sue, no Stamos, and no Terri. Boo!
  • I'm still bothered by the fact that the only known restaurant in Glee is Breadsticks.
The Hits outweigh the Misses. I really liked this episode.

There won't be any Glee until October 28, with the episode "Rocky Horror Glee Show".

Gleek out,
Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment